Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tilapia Milanese



A few days ago, I had not even heard of Tilapia Milanese. But, that's what we ended up making for dinner last night :) We usually get tilapia pretty often because ShopRite has a pretty good deal on the frozen stuff when it goes on sale. However, even though we eat it a lot, I haven't branched out a lot in terms of flavors. Most of the time, we make it fried with an Old Bay cornmeal crust, but I wasn't in the mood for spitting grease last night. I have also tried a soy sauce-brown sugar marinade, but that resulted in a small oven fire, so I'm not trying that again :) So, I searched the internet and found Tilapia Milanese! I usually wouldn't go for a breaded recipe, but I'm so glad I did! It was delicious, and it's definitely becoming a staple in our house!

Ingredients:
4 tilapia fillets
1 1/2 C milk
I C all-purpose flour
3 eggs
6 slices white bread, torn into pieces
1/3 C freshly chopped parsley
finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
5 to 6 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
4 tbsp butter

Preheat the oven to 425.
Soak the tilapia in milk and a cup of ice for 15 minutes. While the fish is soaking, mix the flour with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Beat the eggs in another dish.
Use a food processor to pulse the torn bread, parsley and lemon zest until it's little crumbs. Put this into a third dish.
Remove the fish from the milk one at a time. Dredge them through the flour, then egg and then bread crumbs. Repeat with all the fillets. 
Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a pan. Add the fillets and sear them for 3 minutes on each side until golden. Repeat with more oil and butter. 
Put the fillets on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until cooked through.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment